SSIC supports industry, technology developers and policy makers in:
- The “exploration and raw materials resource assessment” through data management of raw material supplies, monitoring worldwide supply and demand evolutions, assessing criticality of raw materials, ore grade/quality, etc.
- “Mining in challenging environments” by making environmental and economic cost benefit and risk assessments, identifying social hotspots in foreign supply chains, etc.
- “Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes” by performing material flow analysis, applying thermodynamic models and efficiency assessments on processes and supply chains, etc.
- “Recycling and material chain optimisation for End-of-Life products” by calculating recyclability benefits, developing and analysing waste management scenario’s through Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Costing, developing EOL criteria, calculating critical raw materials retained in the EU economy, etc.
- “Substitution of critical and toxic materials in products and for optimised performance at technological scale” by performing toxicity assessments (e.g. USEtox®), by performing upscaling and learning calculations, or at economy wide scale by modelling changes in Input Output tables, etc.
- “Design of products and services for the circular economy” by delivering detailed economic analysis (of profitability, job creation, etc.) of new business models, by applying ecodesign, developing supporting tools, stimulating industrial symbiosis systems through flow analysis, etc.